10 reasons to visit Margaret River Region Open Studios
Australia’s largest Open Studios art event is celebrating 10 years! Experience the joy of watching clay take shape on the wheel, the smell of linseed oil and wood shavings and the anticipation of forging your own art trail. In case you need a reason to schedule Margaret River Region Open Studios in your diary, here’s 10 of the best!
1. See the Margaret River Region in a different light … follow a creative trail off the highways to visit artists in their studios on farms, in forests and vineyards and discover new hidden gems.
2. Find the perfect painting, gorgeous garden sculpture, or handcrafted homeware. Open Studios is the perfect platform to add to or start your art collection of functional or fabulous art, and the wonderful bonus is you’ve met the artist and seen where your piece was created.
3. Make friends with a Margaret River Region artist. Discover new creators or return to see what’s recently inspired your favourite artists.
4. Have a sticky beak! Who doesn’t love seeing where people create and what inspired them. Visit artists in their creative cocoons in shearing sheds, spare bedrooms, purpose-built studios, in beach houses, in sea containers, caravans and even a repurposed water tank!
5. Try your hand at art or learn a new skill. Many Margaret River Region Open Studios artists are hosting workshops and events. Paint and sip, have a studio sundowner, find out about fat whales from a marine biologist, build a birdhouse, learn the art of screen-printing or take a sculpture walk through the forest.
6. It’s free! How many other experiences can you have that don’t cost a cent to be inspired, emotional and joyous, meeting artists in their creative spaces and immersing yourself in a variety or artforms?
7. Enjoy your favourite Margaret River Region scenes captured on canvas, precious metal or clay … Meelup Beach, Castle Rock, Injidup Natural Spa, Boranup Forest and sprawling vineyards … bring home a little piece of paradise captured by our talented artists.
8. It’s accessible. You don’t need to be an expert or a serious collector to be enthused by Open Studios. The joy of seeing the tools, smelling the linseed oil or wood shavings, watching clay shaped on the wheel or glass being blown is truly unique.
9. Spring is the perfect season to visit the Margaret River Region and enjoy a colourful array of art celebrating our native flora and fauna – whales, wrens and wildflowers.
10. It’s been going for 10 years, you’ve been thinking about it for long enough! Hop onto mrropenstudios.com.au and plan your artistic adventure.